Hi! This is Shees. Today we talked about Diabetes mellitus. its causes, symptoms, treatment and preventions.
It is the disease of the pancreas that produces insulin, use the food for energy. The diabetic pancreas is unable to produce
insulin or uses insulin incorrectly.
- It is a long-term disease that causes high blood sugar.
- About 382 million people suffering from diabetes in the whole world.
- Gestational Diabetes affects female during pregnancy.
- It also effects on cardiovascular health.
- It is a complex group of disease.
- Insulin is a hormone produced by beta-cells.
It has 3 types:
Type 1:(Juvenile Diabetes)
- The body does not produce insulin.
- It is also called insulin dependent diabetes mellitus(IDDM).
- About 10% people suffer from this type 1.
- Insulin injection is taken by patients to survive.
- The body does not produce enough insulin.
- It may call insulin independent diabetes mellitus(IIDM).
- About 90% people suffer from this type 2.
- It becomes worse and patient end up has to take insulin, usually in tablet form.
This occurs in women during pregnancy in which body is unable to produce insulin.
Following are the causes:
- Inherited tendency
- Physical stress
- Use of steroid
- Autoimmune disease
- High B.P.
- Use of alcohol
- Increase urine output
- Excessive thirst
- Weight loss
- Skin problems
- Slow-healing wounds
- Frequent infections
- In order to diagnose this disease, a test is taken called fasting plasma glucose test.
This measures your blood sugar level.
- Another test is taken called A1C which measures your average glycated Haemoglobin
- Oral glucose tolerance test also used to diagnose this disease.
It does not have complete treatment.
- Different treatments used to control the disease.
- Take healthy food that makes you fit.
- Take exercise regularly.
- Monitoring your blood sugar.
- Oral or other medication are taken to stimulate the production of insulin.
- Transplantation of pancreas.
- Go for whole grains.
- Get plenty of fibre.
- Get more physical activity.